Location & Travel Guide
- Wilderness Lodge Arthur's Pass is located halfway between Christchurch & the South Island's West Coast, off the Great Alpine Highway (SH73). Our street address is 70 Cora Lynn Road, 7580.
- Less than 2 hours from Christchurch or the West Coast towns of Hokitika and Greymouth. It is also conveniently located near to Castle Hill (30 mins).
- Choose to travel by TranzAlpine Train, arriving from Christchurch each morning and Greymouth each afternoon. The Wilderness Lodge is 16km from the train station and transfers are NZ$55 per person one way (book in advance).
- Arrival by bus is also an option. Let us know in advance and ensure you disembark at the Wilderness Lodge, not Arthur's Pass Village.
- Christchurch International Airport is 125km away (less than 2 hours drive). Many guests travel directly to/from the airport rather than overnighting in Christchurch.
South Island Map
Travel Times to South Island Destinations
|Approx. Travel Time||Destination|
|1-2 hrs||Christchurch Airport, Christchurch City, Greymouth, Hokitika|
|3-4 hrs||Franz Josef, Tekapo|
|4-5 hrs||Fox Glacier, Kaikoura, Mt Cook|
|5-6 hrs||Wilderness Lodge Lake Moeraki, Nelson, Abel Tasman, Blenheim|
Travelling to/from Wilderness Lodge Lake Moeraki
It is a comfortable 370km drive (5.5 hours) to Wilderness Lodge Lake Moeraki. The journey crosses Arthur's Pass before passing historic gold towns and West Coast beaches. It passes Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers. You should depart by around 9am to allow a couple of hours for a walk or flight at the Glaciers. The route guides below outline the journey.
Travelling to/from Christchurch
It is less than two hours' easy drive to either central Christchurch or Christchurch International Airport. The route guides below outline the journey.
Stay a few nights at each Wilderness Lodge to experience the full range of the South Island's wild natural places.
What to Bring?
Like everywhere in New Zealand, travellers should be prepared for a wide range of weather conditions. The Lodge is open from September to May. The climate in winter is characterised by settled weather with infrequent snow. Summer temperatures can be up to 30°C (85°F) but do bring some warmer clothes, lightweight rain gear and good footwear if you plan to be active.
The alpine plants of Arthur's Pass put on spectacular flowering displays through the spring & summer months.