Location & Travel Guide
- Wilderness Lodge Arthur's Pass is located on Highway 73, halfway between Christchurch and the South Island's West Coast.
- Approximately 1.5 hours from Christchurch and the West Coast towns of Hokitika and Greymouth.
- 16km east of Arthur's Pass Village, then one kilometre up Cora Lynn Rd.
- The Tranz Alpine Train arrives from Christchurch into Arthur's Pass Village each morning and from Greymouth (West Coast) each afternoon. Tell us if you are arriving by train and we will organise a transfer. Train transfers are per person (one way).
- There are buses that travel through Arthur's Pass daily - The West Coast Shuttle & Atomic Shuttles. Tell them you are going to the Wilderness Lodge, not Arthur's Pass Village.
- Christchurch International Airport is 125km away. With limited accommodation in Christchurch due to earthquake damage, we can provide relatively close airport accommodation.
The Wilderness Lodge farm moves sheep along the highway regularly
Travel Times to South Island Destinations
|Approx. Travel Time
||Christchurch Airport, Christchurch City, Greymouth, Hokitika
||Franz Josef, Tekapo
||Fox Glacier, Kaikoura, Mt Cook
||Wilderness Lodge Lake Moeraki, Nelson, Abel Tasman, Blenheim
Travelling to/from Wilderness Lodge Lake Moeraki
It is a comfortable 370km drive (5.5 hours) to Wilderness Lodge Lake Moeraki. The journey crosses Arthur's Pass before passing historic gold towns and West Coast beaches. It passes Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers. You should depart by around 9am to allow a couple of hours for a walk or flight at the Glaciers. The route guides below outline the journey.
Wilderness Lodge Route Guide - Arthur's Pass to Lake Moeraki
Wilderness Lodge Route Guide - Lake Moeraki to Arthur's Pass
Joint Wilderness Lodge Itineraries
Travelling to/from Christchurch
It is less than two hours' easy drive to either central Christchurch or Christchurch International Airport. The route guides below outline the journey.
Wilderness Lodge Route Guide - Christchurch to Arthur's Pass
Wilderness Lodge Route Guide - Arthur's Pass to Christchurch
Stay a few nights at each Wilderness Lodge to experience the full range of the South Island's wild natural places.
What to Bring?
Like everywhere in New Zealand, travellers should be prepared for a wide range of weather conditions. The Lodge is open all year (except June and July). The climate in winter is characterised by settled weather with infrequent snow. Summer temperatures can be up to 30°C (85°F) but do bring some warmer clothes, lightweight rain gear and good footwear if you plan to be active.
The alpine plants of Arthur's Pass put on spectacular flowering displays through the spring & summer months.
“More than a Lodge, a terrific resort.”
My wife and I went with family and friends to celebrate our anniversary. We stayed two nights in Arthur's Pass and another two nights in the sister lodge at Lake Moreaki. We were very impressed with t...
“Great Escape into the Wilderness”
We (family of four) enjoyed the many personal touches that Michael and team displayed during our 2 day stay. Food, room, ambiance, walks in the woods and sheep shearing experiences made the entire sta...
Tom D, Singapore
“Comfort and education in the wilderness”
We stayed only one night, but we had two memorable walks in the wilderness. One was expertly lead by a knowledgeable guide with a real love and passion for the environment and nature. Excellent food i...
PGNM, Bristol, United Kingdom
Did you enjoy your stay?
Please tell us about it on...